Saturday, November 12, 2005

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind

I was able to manage paying more attention while watching this movie for the second time. Charlie Kaufman has done a great job with his expertise in storytelling. In a way, it reminded me somewhat of "Total recall" when the company ad showed up about giving the people an opportunity of deleting their memories of someone special. I need to note here that watching the craze of people wanting to get rid of hurtful memories during Valentine's day was a very pleasant sarcasm.

We all had our moments wishing to take a break from dealing with not having that someone you'd once spent all your time with. A break is alright; but what about a permanent brain damage? It'd be "nice" if the break is long enough to get over the emotional trauma, but what do we lose if it lasts for a life time?
I'd be not me if I miss the moments of my memories; it doesn't really matter if they are pleasant or hurtful.

The visual representation of how the memories being erased and how he was trying to resist is done great. A quote from the movie reads "I can't remember anything without you"... In a way, it is as good as the definition of love gets...

Another nice thing is the way that Clementine is represented in Joel's head. I think this has to be credited in terms acting and story telling. She was different in reality and she was just his imagination in the way he wants her to be. I guess we all wish we did imagining that special someone saying "Why don't you stay this time?"

Clementine: This is it Joel. It's going to be gone soon.
Joel: I know.
Clementine: What do we do?
Joel: Enjoy it

It's a great movie to watch; but needs some attention, especially the timeline. The clues are shown many times; i.e. the name Patrick echoes at least eight or nine times until the audience gets that there is something about that name; in case you miss when she calls her new boyfriend Patrick. So try to be sober when you rent this movie. And if you don't trust me, read some more on IMDB :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home